Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Yesterday's lecture was one of my favorite so far. Dr. Feinberg talked about making decisions, something I will admit is not a strong point of mine. When it comes to a formal situation I have the ability to make a strong decision when the time comes, but in my personal life I postpone decisions as long as I can (and I'm very good at it).

A lesson Feinberg stressed again and again was that everyone needs to have a say in the decision; if they do not, then they will most likely not follow along with it. I have been working at Bath and Body Works in the mall since the beginning of the year. I started there as a Customer Sales Lead (a "kinda" manager) in charge of shipment. I'm not in that position anymore but merely a sales associate since that position was only needed during Christmas time. I really enjoy this job and have learned a lot from my managers. The co-manager of the store, Pam, is a very good leader and I feel I can learn a lot from her.

Pam is a good decision maker. During Christmas time she knew she did not know how shipment was getting put away, so if there was a question or a decision that needed to be made about it, she asked me, I guess you could say I was the "expert" when it came to shipment. Even though I'm not in that position anymore she still came to me when it came time to move our store to a different location and the backroom needed organized. I was put in charge of deciding where everything would go, and was given a small team to help me. This was difficult task. For heavens sake, I had no idea where the best spot for the shower gel would be, and where were we going to put the antibacteria soap!

So during the three days of moving I asked the members of my team, as well as the management staff, where the best place to put something would be if I did not already have a plan for it. I knew that once the store was ready to open I would not always be the person working, and what works for me might not work for the rest of the employees. Because I allowed others to have an input on the decision they all felt more a part of it and followed along with it. The backroom runs smoothly now and I'm very proud of the way my team and I put it together, not to mention I received much validation for my efforts!

No comments:

Post a Comment