Wednesday, March 4, 2009

In one of my classes this semester I volunteered to be the leader of my group. I believe we were put into groups and asked to designate a leader around the time Dr . Feinberg yelled at everyone who did not step up in CSR 309 to be a leader. His voice was ringing in my head to always take a leadership opportunity when it comes available. So now I am the leader of a group of four, we are assigned in seats around each other so during class we can have small group discussions and we will also be doing a larger project within this group later this semester.

Although it is only a small group, I am faced with some leadership problems. One would be my groups lack of effort put forth when we have group discussion. The other members of my group tend to want to get done with the assignment and they do not put genuine thought into each answer. This bothers me because it is not what the whole point of discussing in groups is all about. It is also never fail that at least one of the group members is not in class on any given day. This hurts the group because all input is helpful.

This reminded me of when Kirk Weisler spoke to us and said we should be making our organization a great culture to be in. I need to be a better leader in my group and encourage a good environment where discussion is open. If we all continue to say the easy answer and get done with the questions as fast as we can, we are not learning any lessons. I need to remember Kirk's lessons during class that people will preform better when they feel loved and cared about.

No comments:

Post a Comment