Monday, March 9, 2009

Recently I wrote a "living obituary" for CSR 309. Oddly enough, I wrote it about one of my peers who I have only meet for a few minutes. At first I was thinking, what does this have to do with leadership? How am I going to be a better leader by learning the "first meeting basics" about a kid I will probably never see again? And what does it help that some stranger is learning only what he has to about me to write a paper?

But as I was doing a little more research into it, it started to make sense. A obituary is what the world will remember us by. We don't get to write it, we don't get to decide what is said. If I (God forbid) were to die today, what type of legacy would be left behind to write about in my obituary? Right now, its the "first meeting basics" that would be covered.

A great leader leaves behind more than the first meeting basics. People do not come to their funeral and talk about where they went to college and what types of jobs they had, how their kids are doing now and how greatly they will be missed. A great leader will be missed because there will be a void that will need to be filled because of their loss. They will be remember for and by the people the touched (not in the physical way, hopefully) and the great things they did.

My peer I wrote the living obituary about did not have anything remarkable for me to say about him. I didn't have anything remarkable to give to him to say about myself. But starting today I'm going to become a better leader, so when I do step through those pearlly gates I will be remembered by the deeds I did and the people I touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment